Saturday, November 13, 2010

A song I wrote last year: "The Roads I learned to Drive On"


Sittin’ on a pillow
In that old black ford
Both hands on the wheel..

Dad climbed in beside me
And it seemed like then
That time stood still….

Dad said check your mirrors and told me turn right
Stay between the lines and you’ve got the green light.

Now follow this road, son, and we’ll end up back home
I couldn’t understand ---seemed so far I’d gone.

Chorus:
These are the roads I learned to drive one
This is where I used to roam
This is where I learned what love was
And how to get back home.

Verse 2:
Sittin' in the back
of that country church
I heard the preacher say

The roman road
 is where you can find
The truth, the life and the way

It starts by checking the mirrors and finding out
What you need to clear before heading out

Then follow this road, son and we’ll end up back home
I couldn’t understand---seemed so far I’d gone.

(Chorus)

Sittin’ on a pillow both hands on the wheel, my Father leads the way
He tells me the truth and he saves my life and he shows me the way.

He says:

“Turn here..
Stay straight
Stay between the lines…

Slow down..
Good job..
Now just take your time..

Pulling up to home never felt so good
We’d made it back just like he said we would.

Painting by my Mom, Dot Courson

No comments:

Post a Comment